The Best Method To Knock In Your Cricket Bat Quickly & Easily

From: Ian Canaway
www.CricketSecrets.com

Cricket Bat Care and Maintenance Tips – Knocking in Your Cricket Bat

Once you have oiled your new cricket bat you need to spend some time conditioning it before using it in a competitive environment. This is done by the process of knocking it in.

Ideally you should knock in any new cricket bat for at least six hours, yes it’s a lot but it will help condition your bat for heavy usage without damaging it.

You should also knock-in your new cricket bat even if it comes advertised as ‘ready to play’, as it still won’t be ready for the full force of a hard new cricket ball, especially if you catch an edge or the ball hits the toe.

I’ve seen players go out on to the square with a brand new cricket bat, which hadn’t been knocked in. In the first over he dug out a Yorker, which resulted in a ‘fatal’ crack in the toe of the bat. If it had been knocked in properly it’s unlikely this would have ever happened. If you don’t knock in your bat you could literally be ‘throwing £200 down the pan’.

To knock in your bat I highly recommend you use an old high quality cricket ball.

Begin gently by tapping the bat, particularly focusing in on the edges, as these are a very vulnerable part of the bat and by the end you want the edges to be almost slightly rounded.

Spend 2-3 hours doing this stage of knocking in the bat, making sure you cover all of the face of the bat, excluding the splice area. Don’t knock-in the back of the cricket bat.

After you have done this gradually increase the force with which you hit the bat, making sure you systematically cover all of the face of the bat. By the end you should be hitting the bat with full force to simulate the impact of a real cricket ball.

When you have finished knocking in the bat, you should first progress to using the bat for out field practice and then in the nets against an old used high quality cricket ball, especially avoid ‘bat breaker’ cricket balls, you know the ones, cheap, hard and usually shiny. If your bat is going to break or split it’s these balls that’ll do the damage.

Once you’ve played the bat in for a few hours in the nets it’ll be ready to take out onto the square.

It’s a tedious process but well worth the time and effort for the results you’ll get for your hard work. Its worth mentioning that some sports shops may offer a knocking in service for a small fee. Personally I like to do it myself to see how the bat progresses as it becomes more knocked in.

All the best,

Ian Canaway
www.CricketSecrets.com

P.S. Now go play some cricket!

P.P.S. If you're not already getting our Free Cricket Tips Newsletter, use the form below to sign up now...

Claim Your FREE CricketSecrets.com Training Tips

Fill out the form below and you’ll immediately start receiving your FREE tips to help you learn how to play great cricket regardless of your age or ability!

Name:
Email:

Republishing or distribution of content is NOT permitted. All content is Copyright, Ian Canaway & CricketSecrets.com.

Comments

1. anil says:

This information is very helpful.Thanks for giving such a valuable information.
    Really it is amazing.

2. Aravindh says:

Sir (Ian Canaway). Your tips have been constantly supporting us. Thanks very much for your hard work, dedication to teach us.

3. khalid shahidi says:

All the tips being send to us are really fantastic and very helpful for the young and growing cricketers. I am really very much satisfied with these extra-ordinary tips…….

4. Rohit Gopalan says:

These ideas are very true. It is a great idea to knock in your new bat. Consider using an old bat. You would have to sandpaper it, oil it and then once the oil has dried out, then your repeat the knocking in process

5. Shrikant Kharge says:

Dear Ian

I have been a ranji trophy player , played from 1990 to 1992-93 from Railways in India.Also had a stint of playing in Southhampton club in london for 2 seasons. But i had to stop playing cricket due to family reasons , however now my son who is been trained by me is progressing. Today’s cricket is far different to the cricket of 90′s , hence i thoroughly enjoy the vital clues which fill’s in the gaps of do’s & dont do’s.Basically i personally belive that learning or teaching cricket is a Syllabus & not just a 2 hour practise session. The tips that are viewed are very thoughtful , fitting to be a chapter of syllabus. Keep up the good work.

6. Nikhil Sharma says:

Dear Sir Ian,
    I am 14 years old and i can bowl every variation in fast bowling and all variations in both leg and off spin including slider, zooter, flipper even and the doosra and the mystery ball and more. i am a right handed batsman and a right handed bowler. i am from India. what should i choose between fast and spin, either fast or spin? and please give me more tips like your excellent tips on cricket and PLEASE DO READ THIS. AND GIVE ME tHE ANSWER AND SUGGESTIONS SIR.

yours truly
    NIKHIL SHARMA

7. Anita says:

This article was truly helpful but I thought knocking in prevented damage to the bat and made you hit the ball further. Is that true or not?

8. Ian says:

Hi Anita,

Yes you are correct, it helps to condition the bat to minimise damage and improve its performance.

Cheers,

Ian

9. Mir Naveen says:

Hi Ian
    I have read you article and it is really helpful. But can you post an article on oiling your cricket bat

10. Mack says:

as a Rookie at the age of 37 haha, but I do have 25+years of baseball behind me.. I find these tips and articles incredibly helpful in learning this great game.

I just bought a bat, nothing too fancy or expensive, but definitely quality enough for the level I am playing, and this article miraculously appears in my inbox as I am searching the best ways to knock it in…

Thank you from Prince Edward Island, Canada… I hope I can put to use this summer the great tips you are sending.

11. Nazim says:

Hi Ian. I am very thankful to you for sending me valuable coaching resources.help me to qualified Level 2 coaching course .Thank you once again. Nazim

12. Harold says:

Your tips are very useful,as i am playing friendly cricket match, if i had known what i am reading from you i would have been the perfect cricketer.Thanks

13. SHRIJITH says:

where can I get linseed oil?

14. anni says:

this tips was very useful for me and mybat

15. Ian says:

You should be able to get it at your local hardware / DIY store

Leave a Comment or Ask a Question...